Environmental Information System ENVIS centre In the year 2004, Ministry of Environment & Forest, Government of India selected Gujarat Ecology Commission (GEC)
as an ENVIS centre to work upon Status of environment and related issues for the state of Gujarat. Developing and publishing a biennial report on
the State of the Environment report of Gujarat. As the ENVIS (Environmental Information System) centre, GEC has several responsibilities, which are as follows :
• Creating a data bank through collating books, reports and journals on environment conservation.
• Partnering with various institutes to gather information.
• Bringing out newsletters/publications on the subject of environment conservation.
• Responding to queries and provide information of environment related subjects.
Long term Objectives
• To build up a repository and dissemination centre of environmental information.
• To gear up modern technologies of acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information.
• To support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
Short term Objectives
• To provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information.
• To build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users.
• To promote, national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of environment related information.
• To promote, support and assist education and personnel training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilisation capabilities.
• To promote exchange of information amongst developing countries.
The responsibility of the ENVIS Centres and Nodes are :